Recipe for a Delicious English Dinner Party
(Serves eight distinguished guests)
Start with a few warm and gracious welcoming salutations:
- "So nice you could make it!"
- "Welcome to our humble home."
- "Please make yourselves comfy in the sitting room."
Add a dash or two of heart-warming comments:
- "My goodness Madeline, you look divine tonight!"
- "My dear, how is your mother doing these days?"
- "Sir George, what a stunning dinner jacket you are sporting!"
Next stir in a sprinkling of creative dinner conversation:
- "Please everyone, drinks will be served in the conservatory, so kindly make yourself at home whilst Ingrid brings them in."
- "I do so hope you all like wild pheasant with fresh herbs and all the fixings."
- "Is there anything special I can get for you before we sit at table?"
- "I am happy to inform you that tonight's dinner will be featured in next months edition of 'Fine Food, Fine Friends' magazine!"
Mix in a generous helping of complimentary remarks:
- "If I may be so bold Alicia, who does your hair these days?" "You look like a fashion icon!"
- "Dearest Barbara, how is your brilliant son making out in his first semester at Harvard?"
- "Good gracious Sir Henry, you look every inch the distinguished English Gentleman in your top and tails!"
- "Why I never knew you had such a tiny waist Miss Agatha." "You really should consider doing a tad bit of modeling for Harrods."
And finally, shake a peppering of scintillating clever conversation over the entire meal:
- "Ok everyone, lets proceed into the main dining room and loosen our waistbands in delicious anticipation!"
- "And now for the pièce de résistance!"
- "I say, Cook has prepared one of the yummiest Pumpkin Puree's in the history of culinary feasts." "I must remember to increase her Christmas bonus this year."
- "Oh before it slips my mind, be sure to leave room in your well-stuffed tummy's for the scrumptious dessert to follow."
- "We'll all take coffee in library afterwards."
Finish up the entire evening with a soothing mix of music and calming remarks:
- "We are so glad you could all make it tonight."
- "Isn't this newcomer Paul Potts simply the talk of the music community?" "We hope to book him for the entertainment at our Christmas bash next year."
- "I hope your are all full and satisfied by the fine food and company this evening."
- "Everyone is invited to come to our annual dress-up gala next month at the Country Club."
- "Would anyone like another spiced brandy before I call their drivers?"
- "Au Revoir everyone." "It's been a most marvellous evening!"